Actionable Safety Intelligence for a safer, smarter fleet
The term 'big data' has been roaming the halls for a while now. ItÕs a phrase used to describe large volumes of data, both structured and unstructured, generated on a daily basis. But itÕs not the volume of data that counts. You can have all the data in world, but itÕs what you do Ð or can do Ð with that data that makes the difference.
And the possibilities are endless.
The ability to access or analyze big data, especially in real-time as it streams in, can have an enormous impact on a business, particularly if it is used to predict the onset of an event or provide insight into how to transform a process or operation.
We, at MiX Telematics, prefer to call it "Actionable Safety Intelligence" Ð and here's why:
By collecting data about the location, performance, usage and status of vehicles and drivers, fleet operators obtain meaningful, real-world information about the inner workings of their organization. This, in turn, can be used to change driver behavior, dramatically reduce crash rates and ultimately save lives.
It's your call
There are a variety of driver safety, vehicle tracking and fleet management solutions out there. What you choose depends on several factors including:
- The business objectives you are trying to achieve
- The size of your fleet operation
- The level of visibility you'd prefer
- Buy-in from stakeholders
- Legislative considerations
Entry-level tracking software enables customers to trace the whereabouts of vehicles and drivers Ð an ideal solution for smaller, perhaps local businesses whose operations rely on accurate, real-time location information. Vehicles can be located on a map, giving those behind the screens the opportunity to plot their next move, improve utilization, and reduce misuse and theft.
Integrated fleet management solutions, however, offer much more potential and return on investment. Powerful software platforms allow operators to not only track, but to manage, monitor and measure the performance of their vehicles and drivers and be notified, in real-time, about events, deviations, infringements or impending dangers.
Generating data for change
Valuable add-ons and integrations become possible too, like:
- In-cab video to monitor driver behavior, implement change and avoid false claims
- Collision avoidance, fatigue, and distraction detection technology that triggers a series of physical driver interventions before catastrophe strikes
- Driver behavior modification tools, like in-cab driving aids, audible in-cab driver coaching, and driver engagement apps
- Hours of Service solutions to reduce fatigue, save lives and ensure compliance with Electronic Logging Device (ELD) regulations
- Journey Management modules, for the effective planning of safe, achievable journeys
In their own way, each of these Actionable Safety Intelligence tools contribute to one important goal: to proactively protect drivers and businesses, and save lives.
Because you can't put a price on human life.
The bottom line
Safety and saving lives is a core part of our DNA here at MiX Telematics. We are continuously investing in new ideas and technology to help fleets dramatically reduce crash rates and save lives. One way in which we do this is by choosing credible partners with smart solutions that make a real difference.
- Last updated on .