MiX Telematics channel partner, Continental Italy, has seen significant success by making telematics a large part of their sales. Around 80% of their sales currently focus on telematics with tachograph sales taking up the remaining 20%.
Earlier in the month, the House Transportation Committee attached a directive to this year’s Transportation, Housing and Urban Development (THUD) appropriations bill. At the time, there was speculation that the event could end up delaying or repealing the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s (FMCSA) ELD mandate set to go into effect on December 18.
The term “big data” has been roaming the halls for a while now. It’s a phrase used to describe large volumes of data, both structured and unstructured, generated on a daily basis. But it’s not the volume of data that counts. You can have all the data in world, but it’s what you do – or can do – with that data that makes the difference.
The New Year has arrived with a bang – and, with it, the countdown to December 2017, when commercial motor carriers will be required by law to have implemented Electronic Logging Devices (ELDs).
In the U.S, in-cab video is more commonly available as a third-party offering. What this means for fleet managers and owners is that they have to invest even more to use another telematics provider’s software to sync this visual evidence.
From monitoring customers in a supermarket to keeping tabs on traffic congestion on major highways, video surveillance is used to great effect across the world. So why shouldn’t it be used in the road transport industry to survey driver behavior and effectively improve road safety?
If it's been said once, it's been said a thousand times over: don't wait until the last minute to become ELD Mandate compliant. The earlier these electronic logging devices are installed, the better – especially as the process of doing so and training the appropriate employees will likely take longer than expected.
Yes, you must use electronic logging devices (ELD) to comply with the ELD Mandate. And, yes, you will have to invest quite a bit of time and money in transitioning to an ELD system that fulfils all the regulations outlined in the FMCSA’s Final Rule. But, as we’ve said in an earlier post, there are plenty of benefits that come from moving from paper and pen to web and wireless technology.
The road to the passing of the FMCSA's ELD Mandate Final Rule hasn't exactly been smooth – in fact there have been plenty of bumps and obstacles. And this is why there is still so much uncertainty about the actual benefits of using electronic logging devices.
MiX Telematics announces adding more of its Mobile Maintenance & Installation vans to its North American fleet to support clients across the West coast. The Mobile Maintenance & Installation van is operated by MiX Certified Master Technician, Bryan Harrison, who performs custom installation and routine maintenance services, as well as quality control and advanced training of the MiX Telematics partner network. All mobile, on-site services are provided to MiX customers, regardless of fleet size.
David Fredericksen was filmed saving a woman and her 1-year-old granddaughter by his truck’s dashcam on August 11 of this year. Fredericksen didn’t hesitate to leave the safety of his cab and run towards the wreckage with his on-board fire extinguisher. He and his accompanying passenger saved the woman and the child before the car burst into a ball of fire.
Weeks ago, Detroit flooding turned roads into rivers making logistics difficult for companies that rely on the region’s highways to ship goods. Years ago this situation would have created impossible problems for truckers and haulers, but with modern technology, drivers can now avoid trouble spots and minimize the weather’s financial impact.